- Jobsite assistance to the Lead Carpenter
- Move material to and from the project site
- Clean up the project sites daily
- Pick up and deliver construction material
- Customer satisfaction
- Carpentry labor
- Follow the chain of command of the company
The journeyman should have strong organization and communication skills with the ability to interact well with clients, subcontractors and his co-workers. A journeyman should have a good understanding of rough and finish carpentry methods and techniques as well as refined carpentry skills. In addition to being an excellent framing and finish carpenter, he or she should exhibit good judgment, high ethical standards as well as excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Lead carpenters
- Project manager
- Company owners
- Minimum; High school diploma or equivalent
- Preferred; Some advanced education beyond high school
- Minimum; 2 years’ experience in the construction industry
- Preferred; 5 years’ experience in the construction industry
- Able to lift at least 50 pounds and carry the weight at least 100 yards.
- Able to work at least 10 feet above the ground.
- Able to climb and work off of a 16 foot ladder.
- Able to work in a non-level environment for 8 hours.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, ABILITY:
- Have all industry standard hand tools
- Basic knowledge of how a home is put together
- Ability to work unsupervised for 2-3 hours at a time
- Ability to do math/fractions in your head quickly and accurately
- Very good oral and written communication skills
- Exhibit good judgement skills
- Have high ethical standards
The journeyman carpenter will need to be able to work in all kinds of different weather conditions like rain, snow, ice and high winds. They will need to be able to not allow the previous conditions to slow their job progress to a great degree.
- The journeyman carpenter will be a team layer at all times and strive for a good relationship with all other employees of the company.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND TASK LIST:
- Perform all carpentry labor on the job with minimal direct supervision, requesting help as necessary. Bring any discrepancies and special conditions to the attention of the Lead Carpenter. Performed daily.
- Lay out and install stud wall framing
- Lay out and install stairs using a framing square
- Cut in roof rafters
- Install standard wall-hung cabinetry and accessories
- Install pre-hung door units and windows
- Cut and Install interior trim, base, casing, crown molding etc
- Install drywall including taping and mudding
- Have a basic knowledge of and ability to perform repairs on painting, staining, mechanical, plumbing, electrical and flooring
- Perform misc. other duties as they become necessary
- Check the daily construction schedule and speak with the Lead Carpenter to keep appraised of material needs on the project and deliver materials to the site in advance of the particular construction phase. Performed daily.
- Unload materials from vendor delivery trucks and move to the appropriate location, verify accuracy of the delivery ticket. Set aside material that does not meet company specifications and aware the Lead on the job prior to the vendor leaving.Performed when needed.
- Ability to understand blueprint drawings and written specifications as well as work orders and other carpentry related job documents. Performed daily.
- Help maintain a clean work site. All job sites are to be broom cleaned daily and debris is to be properly stored and hauled away promptly. You must have the client’s permission before smoking on the site, no smoking or chewing tobacco is allowed inside a building or within 25 feet from the entrance with or without permission. Performed daily.
- Refer clients to the Lead or Project Manager if they want any extra work or make any changes, do not agree to anything without getting approval and do not ever do work without approval from your lead. Performed daily.
- You are required to have your own hand tools (skill saw, sawzall, screw gun, drills, etc). We do have some larger tools in the shop (compressors, tile saws etc) but if you feel more comfortable with your own, use them. Classic Remodeling NW Inc does not pay for the service charges on your personal tools. If any personal tool is damaged or broken we will not be held responsible for the repairs. (Do not use anything, including tools, equipment, or cleaning supplies that belong to the client)
- Be sure that you lock and secure the job site before you leave for the day. You must secure all ladders and equipment on site. All materials are to be stored in a safe place. Performed daily.
- Report any unsafe equipment or job conditions to your lead immediately. Proper safety equipment (harnesses, safety glasses, ear protection) must be used per OSHA requirements. Performed daily.
- Our work day is any 8½ hour period from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm., with one unpaid half hour for lunch, one paid 10 minute break in the morning and one paid 10 minute break in the afternoon. Any deviations from this schedule must be approved by the Lead or Project Manager. You are to notify your lead, the office and your project manager when you are leaving the site for personal issues, you are not to leave your project early or unattended without prior notification and approval. Overtime is by approval only. If you are ill and have to call in sick please do so immediately and call our office at 425-224-2004 andat least one of the owners at 425-931-4663 (SaDora) or 425-530-6818 (Ward). We prefer you speak with someone and not just leave a message. Performed daily.
- The clients telephone may be used only with their permission and then only for business or emergency calls. You must never disturb a client with loud radios or foul language. Performed daily.
KEY MEASURES OF PERFORMANCE:
- Good evaluation by the different lead carpenters, based on the evaluation of the project manager.
- Ability to perform carpentry related tasks with little direct supervision, based on the evaluation of the project manager.
- Goals to be achieved consistently at 95% or greater based on the evaluation of the project manager.
- All employees will have a 90 day review after the first 90 days of continuous employment to determine if they are compatible with the company standards and employees.
- All journeyman carpenters will be evaluated for their personal performance for the items mentioned above every June and December.
- Evaluations done in April, July & September are for performance/goal setting and the evaluations done in December are for performance/goal setting as well as a yearly raise if appropriate.
- All journeyman carpenters will be given a standard industry wage for the first 90 days of their employment.
- After the 90 day review by the company owners, the wage may increase as based upon the ability shown to the project manager and company owners.
COMPANY PERFORMANCE INCENTIVES:
- Please see the employee bonus program for all employees. Ask your lead carpenter or project manager for details.